1 1/2 medium onions
5-6 celery stalks sliced
6-8 carrots peeled sliced
1 jalapeno halved and seeded
4 large cloves garlic finely chopped or minced
1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
1/8t ground allspice to taste
1/8t ground cinnamon to taste
7 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 c evaporated milk
1. Heat two tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion, then saute until tender, about 5 min.
2. Add celery, carrots, jalapenos and garlic, saute until carrots begin to soften, about 10 min.
3. Add rice, allspice, cinnamon and saute 2 min. Add four cups chicken stock, bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until
4. vegetables are very tender, stirring frequently, about 30 min.
5. Cool slightly, then working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return soup to pot. Add remaining 3 1/2 cups
6. chicken stock, milk and bring to simmer. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. This can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate, then bring to simmer and serve.